Here are the completed Starcraft Marine and SCV I’ve been talking about for a while. I based them from this screenshot taken while my husband played the game.And Here’s my version!Crocheting notes on these two:
- I used thin, mercerized cotton for the first time because I really loved the sheen and the colors…for some reason it is really hard to find good gray yarn in stores. I was nervous about how thin the yarn was so I used a smaller hook than usual, but it turned out great and has been hard to readjust to my thicker, usual cotton yarn.
- I love how the wire loop coming off the SCV came out! I wasn’t sure how I was going to do it and thought at first that I would crochet it. Then I thought I would just use a thick wire. Then I sat down with the wire and the yarn and just starting wrapping the yarn around the wire and it looked great, so I stuck with that!
- My favorite part of either one was that gold part on the helmet that took me a while to figure out how to do. Once I figured it out I was really pleased with how easy it was and how nice it looked!
- The SCV came out big, a little bigger than I’d meant it to be. I usually don’t work with hard angles and back and forth rows (I almost always work in spiral rounds), but it felt good to make those difficult shapes. I had planned to write up the pattern for both, but I might just do the Marine. The SCV had so many crazy crocheting tricks that I’m just not sure I know how to communicate on paper. I wrote the pattern for me, so hopefully I can recreate it.
- In case you were wondering about other Starcraft creations, check out my Creations page for a Probe and this post about my Banelings.
I probably should have crocheted an eagle or maybe a donkey and an elephant…it is an election year, after all, but Starcraft characters will have to do. Have a Happy Fourth and maybe a delicious looking All-American Shooter found here:
To achive the “layered” effect of this patriotic pleaser, place a cherry on the inside edge of the shot glass and slowly pour the curacao and then the vodka over said cherry. This will keep the liquors separate and makes for a nice garnish.
- 1/2 Part Grenadine
- 1 Part Blue Curacao
- 1 Part Vodka
Layer in a shot glass and enjoy!